Sunday, March 19, 2023

Wine tasting #5

 The wine I tasted for this blog was the 2020 The Stag Santa Barbara Chardonnay that I bought from the Vintage Cellar in Blacksburg for around $17 dollars. It is made from the Chardonnay grape variety in Santa Barbara County, California.

As found on WeSpeakWine.com they describe the tasting notes as "The St. Hubert’s The Stag Santa Barbara Chardonnay offers lush tropical aromas of fresh peach blossom, coconut and marzipan, supported by delicate lemon citrus fruit. The palate is bright with a bounty of ripe flavors, including passion fruit, pineapple, lemon curd and lime zest, alongside hints of spiced oak and cardamom, leading to a soft, round, creamy finish." (https://www.wespeakwine.com/products/st-huberts-the-stag-chardonnay-santa-barbara-county-2020-750ml.html)

As found on page 237 of Wine Folly they describe the Chardonnay Grape as "One of the world’s most popular grapes, Chardonnay is made in a wide range of styles from sparkling Blanc de Blancs to rich, creamy white wines aged in oak." and that "Chardonnay pairs best with subtle spices and flavors. For example, try matching it with creamy, buttery flavors and soft textures. Lobster is a winning match."

In my own words I would describe the 2020 The Stag Santa Barbara Chardonnay as strong citrus and peach smelling wine, with hints of a tropical fruit I could not put my finger on. The first taste I got after opening it was one of a lemon and lime mixture with a soft oak flavor at the end. While on the less complex side with flavors, it definitely had a less buttery taste than other California Chardonnays I've had, and I would definitely get it again. While I could not drink a lot of it, I look forward to having more in the future.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Wine Tasting #6

 The wine I tasted for this blog was a 2021 Bay Bridge Cabernet Sauvignon that I bought from a Kroger in Blacksburg for around $4. It is mad...