Sunday, January 22, 2023

Introduction Blog

My name is Collin Goldbach and I am a senior studying National Security and Foreign Affairs and I have had very little experience with wine so far in my life. What I hope to learn in this class is the history of wine from its conception to modern day and the changes that have occurred since then, as well as the complexities behind wines taste, texture, and drinking experience. Already with the first introductory lectures I have expanded my non existent knowledge with just how big wine is in our world and how much it affects not only agriculture but politics and the economy. By the end of this course I hope to have a well rounded understanding of wine not only as a drink and commodity but as an important historical milestone in mankind's history.

So far in my life my experience with wine has been very limited, the first memory I have of wine is mistaking a glass of it for my grape juice when I was 7 on vacation and promptly spitting it out. In more recent years I have had box wine such as Franzia (something that I will not be drinking ever again) and some lower cost wines from stores like Food Lion and Kroger. The wine I've had the most has been sparkling rose on special occasions while in college, as wine is not something that I have gotten into until recently. In my experiences I prefer a dryer wine and one that is less sweet and has more flavors, although I don't know how many $10 bottles have complex flavors.

Growing up my family had wine at holidays and special occasions but neither my parents or aunts and uncles have had a particular affinity for wine and therefore that sort of knowledge has not yet been passed down to me. I hope that with this class and its many opportunities for wine tastings and education that I can not only help expand my own knowledge but help my family appreciate wine in its more complex ways and how to enjoy it with other foods and dishes. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Wine Tasting #6

 The wine I tasted for this blog was a 2021 Bay Bridge Cabernet Sauvignon that I bought from a Kroger in Blacksburg for around $4. It is mad...