Sunday, January 29, 2023

Wine Tasting #2 Baglio Di pIanetto Catarratto Sicilia Doc

 The wine I tasted for this blog was a 2021 Baglio Di pIanetto Catarratto Sicilia Doc that I bought at the Vintage Cellar in Blacksburg. It is made from the Catarratto white wine grape in Sicily, Italy and cost $14.95 before the educational discount. 

As found on Enotri.com they describe the tasting notes as " Pianetto’s organically grown Catarratto displays forward notes of citrus and blossoms, enriched with fragrant lemon zest, orange blossom, and jasmine. On the palate, a zesty acidity complements full, rich flavours." (https://enotri.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Baglio-di-Pianetto-Catarratto.pdf)

I was not able to find information on the Catarratto grape in the Wine Folly book, however on WineSearcher.com they describe it as "Full-bodied and rather neutral-tasting wine with low acidity and little aromatic interest – hardly the benchmarks of a top quality grape. That said, careful vinification from dedicated producers has shown the variety is capable of producing good wines with juicy texture and crisp lemon flavors." (https://www.wine-searcher.com/grape-90-catarratto)

In my own words I would describe the 2021 Baglio Di pIanetto Catarratto Sicilia Doc as a slightly darker, more golden color white with strong mineral notes on the first swirl and sniff. It has a more savory taste to it and has a less sweet and more dry smell. The taste lingers longer than the Reserve du Naufraget Vouvray that I had earlier that day. There is also a honey taste that comes along at least for me halfway through the glass. I did not pair this wine with food, however seeing that it is always suggested as being paired with white fish, next time I get the wine I will be sure to have a white fish for that dinner.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Wine Tasting #6

 The wine I tasted for this blog was a 2021 Bay Bridge Cabernet Sauvignon that I bought from a Kroger in Blacksburg for around $4. It is mad...