Sunday, March 12, 2023

Wine Blog #4 Lui & Willian Abelis Lui Toro

 The wine I tasted for this blog was a 2018 Lui & Williams Abelis Lui Toro that I bought from the Vintage Cellar in Blacksburg for around $23 dollars. It is made from Tempranillo grape variety in the Toro region of Northern Spain.

As found on Swirl-Sip.com they describe the tasting notes as "This “Cab Lover’s Tempranillo” is one of our favorite wines. Deeply concentrated flavors of dark cherry, blackberry, espresso, and cocoa that lead into bold, velvety tannins. Inky and full-bodied with a long, lingering finish." (https://swirl-sip.com/products/abelis-carthago-lui-selection-tempranillo)

As found on page 403 of Wine Folly they describe the tempranillo grape as "Spain’s top variety, made famous by the wines of Rioja, where wines are classified by how long they age in oak. Fine Tempranillo ages 20+ years but costs a little more. Bolder, aged Tempranillo wines pair nicely with steak, gourmet burgers, and rack of lamb. Fresher styles match well with baked pasta and other tomato-based dishes."

In my own words I would describe the 2018 Lui & Williams Abelis Lui Toro as a sweet cherry and strong spice smelling wine when first poured and smelled. The first taste I got was extremely tart with a slight espresso aftertaste. It had a very complex taste to it, with espresso, chocolate, and spices all being very prevalent tastes and aftertastes. The wine was also very dry. The espresso and chocolate flavors blend together to create a drinkable, but confusing wine for the average drinker. I do not think that I would try this wine again, as it was not incredibly enjoyable to drink. I also did not drink this wine with any food.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Wine Tasting #6

 The wine I tasted for this blog was a 2021 Bay Bridge Cabernet Sauvignon that I bought from a Kroger in Blacksburg for around $4. It is mad...