Sunday, March 12, 2023

Wine Tasting #3 Kiki & Juan Blanco

 The wine I tasted for this blog was a 2020 Kiki & Juan Blanco that I bought from the vintage cellar in Blacksburg for $17.85. It is made from a blend of organic white grapes in the Valencia region of Spain.  It is a mixture of 90% macabeo(Viura) and 10% Sauvignon Blanc co-fermented

As found on Serendipity Wines.com they describe the tasting notes as "Granny smith apple and Bartlett pear jump from the glass, followed by layers of green fig and chamomile. There’s a noticeable honeydew melon aroma coming through likely due to the Sauv Blanc skin contact. Crisp and dry on the medium bodied palate. Kiki & Juan blanco is meant to be a fresh white wine that expresses the potential of Requena through organic farming and minimal intervention." (https://serendipitywines.com/product/kiki-juan-blanco/)

As the Kiki & Juan Blanco is a mix of white blends, I will be going off of the 90% Macabeo(Viura) found in the wine. On page 429 of Wine Folly they describe Macabeo(Viura) as "Viura wines become increasingly rich and nutty with age. Younger Viura wines pair well with Southeast Asian cuisine (coconut curries, vermicelli noodle bowls). Aged Viura pairs nicely with roasted meats and resinous herbs."

In my own words I would describe the 2020 Kiki and Juan Blanco as an apple forward white wine, with a very pungent pear smell that almost overwhelms the drinker. A slightly acidic wine with a very strong aftertaste of apple, it was fine to drink for a night in with my friends and roommates. A very smooth feel and an easy wine to drink especially for those who may not have drank a lot of wine before. I did not drink it with food but due to the suggestion from Wine Folly I would like to try it again with some south asian cuisine. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Wine Tasting #6

 The wine I tasted for this blog was a 2021 Bay Bridge Cabernet Sauvignon that I bought from a Kroger in Blacksburg for around $4. It is mad...